June 1, 1929 – Similar to the United States government, the Sisters of the Divine Savior have a constitution that establishes the community as a religious congregation in the eyes of the Church. Sisters of the Divine Savior was not formally recognized as a congregation until 1926, 22 years after Father Francis Jordan submitted the constitution to the Vatican.
The original constitution was written in German, the language familiar to many of the sisters. By the time the constitution was approved, the congregation had begun accepting American-born sisters. In an effort to accommodate them, Mother Hedwig Poetsch translated the document into English. Her translation was approved in the summer of 1929 and remained unchanged for 39 years until the first revision was made in 1965.