November 4, 1895 – Once settled in Milwaukee, the three pioneer sisters began to search for a house of their own. The house hunt didn’t take long, and soon the sisters began renting a two-story, 12-room duplex for $30 a month. Although the move was not physically taxing, the sisters faced other challenges. On the first day of living in the house, Sister Agnes made rice soup in a kettle gifted to the sisters by a woman from the neighborhood. As she went to eat the soup, she realized that the sisters had no spoons; they also did not have a table, so they did all of their ironing on the floor.
During the weeks following their move, the sisters acquired various household items from kind neighbors and friends. They were grateful for all the gifts they received, but they were by far, most enthusiastic about religious articles for their chapel from two Milwaukee pastors. The chapel made their home a convent. Sister Raphaela was quick to ask Rome for 10 more sisters to be sent to America. By mid-December, five more sisters arrived in Milwaukee.