May 27, 1900 – To celebrate laying the cornerstone at St. Mary’s Convent, our pioneer sisters submitted an article to the German-language newspaper, Milwaukee Herold und Seebote. It ran on page 5 under “Church News.” A translation of the story appears below:
An Uplifting Celebration
Laying the Foundation Stone of the Convent of the Sisters of the Divine Savior
As can be foreseen, the laying of the foundation stone for the Convent of the Sisters of the Divine Savior, taking place at 3:00 o’clock this afternoon, will be a magnificent celebration. Reverend A. F. Schinner, Secretary to the Archbishop and Chancellor, will hold the ceremony with the assistance of several priests.
The Catholic Associations will be in attendance or will be represented by delegates. They assemble at 1:30 at the Church of St. Michael and will march, following the music bands and under the direction of the festival organizer John Reichert, to the place of celebration at 35th and Center.
The convent, which will be three stories high, will have all modern “improvements” and will consist of a central structure with two side wings. At the same time, a nursing home will be connected with the convent, since the Sisters will dedicate themselves to serving the sick. As in the past, the Sisters will, however, also continue to serve the sick in their homes.
The first Sisters of this Order who arrived in Milwaukee on July 4th, 1895 came from their Motherhouse in Rome. Originally they lived at 562 2nd Avenue. After 18 months they moved into their present residence, 553 2nd Avenue. Since then, the Sisters have worked self-sacrificingly under the direction of their superior, Sister Raphaela Bohnheim, to assist the sick and suffering.
They deserve everyone’s support. [Literally: This fact justifies everyone’s support for the noble undertaking.]
Not long ago, another convent of this Order was established at St. Nazianz, in Manitowoc County.